Day of the Dead in Toluca

 So, while Aaron and Hubby were in Mexico City at the National Boulder Championships, Emily and I spent time with our dear friends Betty, Roberto and family in Toluca.  Our first day we went downtown to the annual "Feria del Alfeñique" which is held during the Day of the Dead Holiday.  I really have no idea what the word "alfeñique" means, but it consists of booths and booths of little sculptures made of mazapan, sugar, chocolate, and gummy candy. 

 
You can find sugar or chocolate skulls with beautiful flower decorations and have your name piped out in iceing on the forehead. I have always loved the different figures, and the deer and sheep are my favorites. My cell phone doesn't take the best pics, but you get the idea! (I uploaded a couple from the internet via google images)


Mazapan bread baskets, chicks and hens, and flowers.
 
 The deer, goats, and sheep!
 
 
Emi with the caskets... they have little sugar skeletons inside!
 

I had to have a chocolate skull and Emi is nibbling on the leg of a little goat.
 
 
After picking and eating our victims, we did a little clothing shopping.  I really enjoyed some girl time with Emi, Betty, and Alin.  Emi is at a fun age, becoming a young lady, but still wanting mom time.  I treasure every moment!
 
 
I googled Alfeñique... it means "a paste made of sugar".  There you have it!

Comments

Popular Posts