Midwife? Really?

You know, I am not inclined to anything medical... I get light headed at the THOUGHT of blood. My husband has to revive me with rubbing alcohol if I cut myself... and to see my children in pain or bleeding...

So HOW IN THE WORLD would I even think of becoming a midwife?

In December a friend of mine told me about the opportunity to learn to be a doula. SHE told me that a doula was someone who would take vital stats during prenatal visits, then could help with follow-up visits on how to care for the babies. That sounded right up my alley. I love babies, I have a heart for new mommies, so I decided to sign up!

In January we had our Doula training course, and we were blessed to sit at the feet of an experienced midwife and learn all about the birth process. We learned to take blood pressure, temperature, do a urine analysis, check pulse, and even how to do CPR on a new born! The course was sooooo interesting, and I had never seen birth presented in such a natural, non/scary, beautiful way! (My own experiences with birth were borderline traumatic with c-sections and faulty anesthesia.)But during the time with our guest midwife I realised that, and I know this is gonna sound really dumb, God created us with a natural and beautiful gift! Giving birth lost all it's scariness, and I was amazed to see how completely perfect the whole process really is!!!

By the end of the week I was hooked, and was even ready to seek out the closest midwife school and sign up!

OK, I have a tendency to want to run before I even learn to crawl... I know! It's a big defect I have. If I realize that I can do something, I have a tendency to jump in and start doing it. No doubts or second thoughts.

So, since January I have been volunteer/working two days a week at the new Christian based Natural Birth Center called Casa Compasiva. A couple of days after my birthday in March I attended my first birth as a doula, and was the support for the birthing mommy. It was the most amazing thing I have even witnessed!

We are now in May and we just had an INTENSE 3 day seminar on how to use the ultrasound to calculate dates, growth, amniotic fluid, and check placenta size, position and health. It was also amazing!

I haven't been so excited about something like this in a long time. I really feel a strong calling to further my studies and next year enter in the midwife training course. In the meantime my "favorites bar" on the lap-top is now full of natural birth sites, midwife blogs, and birthing videos. I have several books I have been reading, and even Emily is "getting into" my new interest. We recently had an in depth talk about babies and pregnancy, and she wants me to deliver her own babies someday. But first she has decided that she needs to marry a Christian man whose parents were twins so that she can have twins too! :) I told her she needed to pray on that one for awhile!

Please pray for me on this new journey of learning! I thank God for my hubby who has been 100% supportive in everything! I feel so blessed to have found a new way to serve Christ through serving others!




The Doula/midwife/doctor team for Casa Compasiva's first birth

Comments

Unknown said…
This is very exciting! I'm squeamish around blood and stuff, too, but birth is a completely different thing. I will be praying for you as you continue this journey toward becoming a midwife.
Jamie Jo said…
Sorry about that. I didn't know dh was logged in on my computer. Ack.
Tish said…
OH!!! That's sooo funny! I was wondering who Jim was!!!!
Tish said…
and Thank you for your prayers, Jamie!!!!

Popular Posts