My quilting frame!

Once again I have managed to post all the pictures side ways!!! I sure have a gift at doing that! ARGH.

Anyhows, these are pictures of my quilting frame in the making. I have been wanting one for a long time now, and when Dad came for Christmas, I asked him to go take a look at a friend's frame to get an idea of how to make one. We made it a couple of days before Christmas, but I didn't get my quilt onto it until Jan.

I wanted to have the measurements and all to post, but managed to loose them. Sorry. But this will at least give you an idea of how it was made.

First Dad cut two of these pieces out of ply-wood. The four inch gap cut out at the top will hold the one x four boards that the quilt will be attached to.

Second we cut out the feet of the frame legs. Two with a rectangular knotch cut out on the opposite side of the angled cuts (top), two with the rectangular knotch cut out on the same side of the angled cut (bottom). When put together they will form a cross (shown in the next photo), and the angled cuts should provide stablility on any uneven floor.

On a one x four board we cut another rectangular knotch that is wide enough to fit across the cross of the feet (far right of the board on table). You will need two of these, one for each frame leg. Then we drilled holes (not shown) through the one x four and the top support at two or three inch intrevals. When held together with a bolt and butterfly nut, you can adjust the hight of the quilting frame. (see the last picture)

(Just threw this picture in of Aaron and Papa Don working together sanding the pieces.)

This one of the frame legs. You can see how the rectangular knotch at the bottom slides over the crossed foot. I wanted it to fit pretty snug since I didn't want to use nails or glue for easy dis-assembly in the future.



Here are the two frame legs with the top supports attached with four bolts and butterfly nuts (two on each support). They hold part of the quilt frame.



The actual quilt frame is made up of four one x fours. Two that are basicly the width of the widest quilt you would make, the other two on the sides really don't need to be more than a yard long. Once you have your boards that are the width of your quilt, wrap them in sturdy cloth and attach with stapple gun. Pin the ends your quilt "sandwhich" to the cloth on the boards with safety pins. Roll each end of the quilt on the boards, turning under, until the center of the quilt is in the middle of the frame. Attach the side boards with hand vices or clamps. Set the front of the frame on top of the frame supports, adjusting the hight with the butterfly nuts and bolts. To support the back of the quilt, you can prop it up onto a table or on chairs (as I have here).



This is a very sturdy frame. I have 2 young ones, and it has been behind the couch in my livingroom for about a month now without any problems! The only danger is having it out all the time begging you to sit and sew!!! I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Comments

VikiVictoria said…
Love your quilt frame! I love quilting in an old fashioned frame too. I had some quilt frame legs made similar to yours. I couldn't help but notice that your "rolling" board is on the bottom. It's usually always on the top. But whatever works is all that matters - especially in the world of quilting. Happy Quilting!

Popular Posts