Learning self-discipline from a 12 year old

This past month we were blessed to share our home with one of Aaron's classmates. His parents are missionarires working on translating the Bible to a dialect spoken in a mountain village some 8 hours from Oaxaca. They live only 30 minutes from us, but travel to their village several times a year to check on the translations. Their son recently started attending OCS and so when they needed to make a visit out this Jan. they didn't want their son to miss two weeks of school. We were honored to be asked to keep him, and quickly prepared for his stay.

Now, let me tell you a bit about this young man. He is the 3rd of 6 boys. His family speaks German (his father is German his mother Austrian). He also speaks English and Spanish fluently. He plays a mean guitar, and loves to read. He has the most joyful laugh, and is very social and playful. His only "flaw" (for a lack of better word) is that his body does not react well to artificial flavorings, colors, sugars. They become highly combustable fuel for him and take his already active personality to an even higher activity rate, sometimes cuasing agressiveness. I know this because his parents warned me, and brought a good supply of things he could eat like cookies, cereal, and ham. But we NEVER ONCE saw such behavior. I tried to make sure his diet was all nautral, but ever once in awhile I would forget something and he would remind me...

The whole reason I am writing this is because I was so amazed at how this young 12 year old boy was so disciplined in what he could or could not eat! During the WHOLE two weeks, at EVERY meal, he checked labels, asked what ingredients were in foods, and really took it upon himself to be careful to avoid things that would cause his body harm.

This was like a big o slap in the face for me! This 12 year old has more self discipline in his pinky than I do in my whole body! (Although he can get hooked in a book and end up staying awake WAY past bedtime!)

During the same time of his visit, at weekly Bible study we were studying 2 Peter 1:3-11. What things we need to add to our faith so that we won't been seen as "lazy" in God's eyes. Guess what, Self control or self discipline is one of those things! Talk about God hittin ya in the head with something He wants ya to learn!

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year. Just never got a round tu it. But after those two weeks of seeing this 12 year old fervently striving to control and care for his physical need, I was inspired to begin a more controlled and disciplined life.

Drink less coffee (owww)...
Drink more water (ugh)...
Control portions >:/ ...
Eat healthier foods /:< ...
Exercise the bod (groan)...
Control my attitude!

And that's just in the physical needs department. Spiritually its a whole other ballgame!

Funny the way God finds the perfect way to get our attention, eh?

Comments

IH said…
Hi Tish! You have a very attractive blog and girl, you can write! Hope you don't mind if I add you on the list of links on my blog.
This post was a good (convicting) reminder I needed.
IH said…
Hi Tish! You have a very attractive blog and girl, you can write! Hope you don't mind if I add you on the list of links on my blog.
This post was a good (convicting) reminder I needed.
Jamie Jo said…
This was a fun, inspiring post, especially knowing the child you hosted. I hope his mom read this!

Praying for you as you pursue health and fitness this year. I'm on the same journey with you. Let's talk sometime!
Tish said…
Hey IH, I couldn't figure out who you were! LOL! Thanks for the encouragement on my ramblings! At times I feel I make no sense even to myself.

Jamie, I just read about your de-tox diet. Yikes! I totally understand the thing with health affecting attitude. Been there more often then I'd like to admit!

Popular Posts