Can't run from Him!

ARGH!

I know the story about Jonah and the whale. It was probably one of the first Bible stories I ever learned. Back then they used a flannel graph and put up the paper figures of the story as they were told. I remember Jonah being thrown overboard (even though his figure was in standing position with his hands, one palm forward, the other pointing upward) and then the teacher would place the big fish on top, but since he had a window in his tummy we could still see Jonah's solemn face.

Yes I remember what happened to Jonah. I have told the story myself hundreds of times in Sunday School and to my own kids.

So why, then, did I really think I could run from God?

For about the past year (if not more) I have been running from God. Not physically. I wouldn't get to the end of the block if I were. I have been running from the things God has been telling me to do.

I have tried to find good excuses like Moses did when he was confronted with the burning bush, but I've run out of the good ones. "I don't have the time.." "My kids are still little..." "The church needs to start doing things on their own..." Some were better than others. At least in my mind they were!

The running took me no where but into a dark pit. A pit of frustration, guilt, more guilt, a little more guilt... did I mention guilt?

When I wasn't running, I was going through the motions hoping that God would say, "OK, I heard you. Your last excuse was the best, so just go sit down and rest." Oddly enough, He never told me that. Instead He told me things like, "In word or deed... do all in the name of the Lord." or "..work at it with all your heart as if for the Lord, and not for any man." and "He who knows what is good and does not do it, is in sin." and "He who has begun a good work in you will carry it out to completion..."

"BUT com'on God!!! You know I really, really, don't want to do this, and YOU said that you wouldn't send us more than we can handle...." I hid behind that one for quite awhile.

But guess what! He found me!!! Surprised? Not really, huh.

This Sunday the sermon was as if my dear Preacher hubby had sat me down and talked directly to me. He busted my cover! Thank God he did!! Isaiah 1: 10-17 were the verses that really shook me.

You see, years ago, along with my beloved sister Lily, I began to dream of a food ministry for the impoverished children and families who daily roam the downtown area begging or selling gum. Together Lily and I had dreamed of taking them meals, then moving the meals to the church building (which is very accessable to the downtown area) and finally giving classes (along with the meal) on cutting hair, sewing, cooking, or any other trade that would provide even a small income for those families. We would put the Women's Minisrty to work in preparing meals, and asking the women to teach their trade to the people.

Last year my beloved Lily died of stomach cancer. I think it was a mixture of anger and grief that iniciated my run from God. I mean, how could He put this so heavy on our hearts and then take my mentor and work partner away?!?!?!

Pretty good excuse, wouldn't you think? Well, Isaiah 1:17 blew that one out of the water too.

"LEARN to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."

It was if He was fed up with my excuses, and was raising His voice at me, "YOU, learn to do right! Don't wait on anyone else to lean on! Get up and do it!!! Start that food ministry and while your at it, put a little more effort into the Women's ministry even though they are all older than you and most of them are widows or divorced! I'm sick of hearing your whinning!"

Let me tell you, I have finally been "spit out" of that dark, stinky, humid, acidic belly of that whale of self pity, and I hope to never go back!

Are you running? If so, a little word of advice.... He's gonna find you, so you might as well give yourself up!

Comments

Unknown said…
I think it's great! That the pain you lived and somehow held onto will now transform into what it always has been - love. In a way, it keeps your loved one alive and spreads her love to every single person you touch and help through the women's ministry... I'm glad you got tired of playing hide-and-go-seek :)... bless you Tish... and bless your sister for giving you the inspiration and the time to discover that love transforms and transcends, but never disappears. I love ya and I'm sure you'll do great things with this new challenge you've set before you. Ánimo amiga! Fuerza y éxito con tus planes :) un beso - Barb

Popular Posts