Next Homeschool year......

I just knew that today I would be the first one up. But no, once again Emily has beat me. As I was sitting up to get out of bed, I heard the TV in the livingroom turn on to Plaza Sesamo (Sesame Street). Drats! I just can´t get her beat!

I have been online alot lately. Maybe a little too much, but I have been evaluating my whole homeschooling endeavour and am looking for new ideas and options. Aaron (7) always grummbles about lessons, and Emily (5) took about half of this year to really get "into" the swing of things. I don`t want school to be a burden or boring. Here lately we have just been doing the required pages and I have been lack in the teaching. Partly due to other activities and partly due to lack of interest in general.

What I have come up with is deciding to combine Math, English and Spanish curriculum with Unit Studies and Scrapbooking. Of course this is today. Tomorrow I might have decided something completely different. I think that the Unit Studies will help spark interest in the subjects, and we all know that if we are interested in something, we are more apt to remember facts about it. Plus adding more fun activities like outdoors, on hands investigation sound like things my kiddos would really enjoy. Aaron the other day asked about the Solar System, so we got online and looked up the planets, astronauts and space gear. He wrote down some facts, and we printed out some coloring pages. I thought the whole thing was quite educating, but he was just having fun. (Don´t you dare tell him otherwise!)

At church we are organinzing a new Children`s Ministry where we will have charity outings, craft days, days in the park, etc... Activities every other week where our children will be forming friendships within the church, and providing activities that will help them serve others. I think it will be another great learning experience...

I just read an article on scrapbooking combined with Unit Studies. That has me really excited. I think the kids would be really interested in forming their scrapbooks based on the subject at hand. Plus the whole idea of having it as a record of what we have studied, something to show the spectical grandparents, is way up on my list!

Anyhow, investingating all this makes me want to drop everything I am doing right now and get started!

Maybe I will........

Popular Posts